Many people dont realize, but anyone that works at the airport is exempt from screening.
Whether they are gassing up the planes or helping customers at the gift shop, employees are not required to go through any sort of security screening beyond a background check. Until now.
After a rise in illegal activity among airport workers, the US Transportation Security Administration has mandated new rules to prevent criminals from infiltrating restricted areas.1
Despite pushback from lawmakers, the TSA is holding firm on the new mandate, which will come into effect next year.2
Its clear employee screening is needed following a string of incidents involving airport staff. Earlier this week, three employees of companies at Lisbon Airport were arrested for drug trafficking. The arrests were made while the suspects were in the act, resulting in the confiscation of a significant quantity of cocaine.
A few days prior, seven employees at Schiphol Airport were arrested for their involvement in international drug smuggling operations at the airport.
New details also just emerged about the $20 million gold heist that took place at Toronto Pearson Airport in April,3 one the largest thefts in Canadian history, which remains unsolved.
Fortunately, AI security company Liberty Defense Holdings (TSXV:SCAN) (OTCQB:LDDFF) is already beginning to implement its HEXWAVE system at North American airports to enhance screening for both passengers and staff.
Liberty Defenses HEXWAVE system uses a combination of AI, electromagnetic waves, and 3D imaging to effectively scan and identify potentially hazardous items, such as metal, 3D-printed plastic guns, powders, and liquids. The process is remarkably swift, requiring employees to pass through a contactless walkthrough portal without having to remove their keys or cell phones.
AI-Enhanced Walk-Through Security Detection
Liberty Defense Holdings is a leading technology provider specializing in AI-based next-generation detection solutions for safeguarding secure locations against prohibited weapons and various threats.
The company has continued to sign partnerships in the aviation sector, with Denver International being the latest airport to begin a week-long trial of Liberty Defense's HEXWAVE to conduct screening on its workers.
Trials of this innovative technology are also underway at airports in California and New Hampshire, while Toronto Pearson, Canada's largest airport has already acquired and implemented this technology.
Looking ahead, there is a federal mandate set to take effect by April 2026, requiring major airports throughout the United States to implement explosive detection screening for aviation personnel.
Liberty Defense (TSXV:SCAN) (OTCQB:LDDFF) also just announced an exclusive distribution partnership with OSI Systems subsidiary Rapiscan Systems to sell and service HEXWAVE internationally in security and aviation markets.
OSI Systems has placed an initial order for 20 HEXWAVE systems to meet early customer interest, and Liberty Defense is scheduled to deliver the first five units by the end of 2023. This agreement allows Rapiscan to add the HEXWAVE walkthrough people screening system to its range of security products and services.
Rapiscan Systems is recognized for providing screening technologies that assist governments, defense agencies, and various industries in safeguarding against threats like terrorism, and preventing the smuggling of drugs, weapons, and contraband. With a global network for service and support, Rapiscan Systems ensures that maintenance and assistance for the HEXWAVE systems will be readily available wherever they are deployed.
We are thrilled to join forces with Rapiscan, a worldwide leader in the security industry, and look forward to expanding the reach of HEXWAVE into more countries internationally, said Bill Frain, CEO of Liberty Defense. Over the past several months, we have seen the demand increase significantly for HEXWAVE for enhanced screening at checkpoint applications, and it was important for Liberty to enter into this important agreement with Rapiscan to meet that demand.
This agreement significantly expands Liberty's global presence, encompassing the European, Middle Eastern, African, and Asia/Pacific regions, including Australasia, for HEXWAVE market penetration.
In addition, Liberty Defense recently received a $1.25 million contract from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), which includes options for a total value of up to $3.86 million. This Research and Development contract will provide TSA with Open Architecture (OA) software, end-to-end engineering development, and the enhancement of the High-Definition Advanced Imaging Technology (HD-AIT) Wideband Upgrade Kit. The goal is to improve threat detection and enhance the passenger experience.
As an agency of the US Department of Homeland Security, the TSA is responsible for airport security screening across the United States. The TSA's On-Person Screening program focuses on detecting a wider range of threats with fewer false alarms and reduced physical contact. Open Architecture, according to the TSA, is a technology design approach that ensures interoperability across tools and platforms, regardless of the technology designer, manufacturer, or supplier, through the use of widely accepted standards.
1) The author of the Article, or members of the authors immediate household or family, do not own any securities of the companies set forth in this Article. The author determined which companies would be included in this article based on research and understanding of the sector.
2) The Article was issued on behalf of and sponsored by, Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd. Market Jar Media Inc. has or expects to receive from Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s Digital Marketing Agency of Record (Native Ads Inc.) ninety five thousand USD for 36 days (26 business days).
3) Statements and opinions expressed are the opinions of the author and not Market Jar Media Inc., its directors or officers. The author is wholly responsible for the validity of the statements. The author was not paid by Market Jar Media Inc. for this Article. Market Jar Media Inc. was not paid by the author to publish or syndicate this Article. Market Jar has not independently verified or otherwise investigated all such information. None of Market Jar or any of their respective affiliates, guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any such information. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. Market Jar Media Inc. requires contributing authors to disclose any shareholdings in, or economic relationships with, companies that they write about. Market Jar Media Inc. relies upon the authors to accurately provide this information and Market Jar Media Inc. has no means of verifying its accuracy.
5) Market Jar Media Inc. and its respective directors, officers and employees hold no shares for any company mentioned in the Article.
6) This document contains forward-looking information and forward-looking statements, within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities legislation, (collectively, forward-looking statements), which reflect management's expectations regarding Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s future growth, future business plans and opportunities, expected activities, and other statements about future events, results or performance. Wherever possible, words such as predicts, projects, targets, plans, expects, does not expect, budget, scheduled, estimates, forecasts, anticipate or does not anticipate, believe, intend and similar expressions or statements that certain actions, events or results may, could, would, might or will be taken, occur or be achieved, or the negative or grammatical variation thereof or other variations thereof, or comparable terminology have been used to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements relating to: (a) revenue generating potential with respect to Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s industry; (b) market opportunity; (c) Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s business plans and strategies; (d) services that Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd. intends to offer; (e) Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s milestone projections and targets; (f) Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s expectations regarding receipt of approval for regulatory applications; (g) Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s intentions to expand into other jurisdictions including the timeline expectations relating to those expansion plans; and (h) Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s expectations with regarding its ability to deliver shareholder value. Forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of future performance and are based upon a number of estimates and assumptions of management in light of managements experience and perception of trends, current conditions and expected developments, as well as other factors that management believes to be relevant and reasonable in the circumstances, as of the date of this document including, without limitation, assumptions about: (a) the ability to raise any necessary additional capital on reasonable terms to execute Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s business plan; (b) that general business and economic conditions will not change in a material adverse manner; (c) Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s ability to procure equipment and operating supplies in sufficient quantities and on a timely basis; (d) Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s ability to enter into contractual arrangements with additional Pharmacies; (e) the accuracy of budgeted costs and expenditures; (f) Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s ability to attract and retain skilled personnel; (g) political and regulatory stability; (h) the receipt of governmental, regulatory and third-party approvals, licenses and permits on favorable terms; (i) changes in applicable legislation; (j) stability in financial and capital markets; and (k) expectations regarding the level of disruption to as a result of CV-19. Such forward-looking information involves a variety of known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements of Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd. to be materially different from any future plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such risks include, without limitation: (a) Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s operations could be adversely affected by possible future government legislation, policies and controls or by changes in applicable laws and regulations; (b) public health crises such as CV-19 may adversely impact Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s business; (c) the volatility of global capital markets; (d) political instability and changes to the regulations governing Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.s business operations (e) Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd. may be unable to implement its growth strategy; and (f) increased competition.
Except as required by law, Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd. undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future event or otherwise, after the date on which the statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Neither does Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd. nor any of its representatives make any representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the accuracy, sufficiency or completeness of the information in this document. Neither Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd. nor any of its representatives shall have any liability whatsoever, under contract, tort, trust or otherwise, to you or any person resulting from the use of the information in this document by you or any of your representatives or for omissions from the information in this document.
7) Any graphs, tables or other information demonstrating the historical performance or current or historical attributes of Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd. or any other entity contained in this document are intended only to illustrate historical performance or current or historical attributes of Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd. or such entities and are not necessarily indicative of future performance of Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd. or such entities.
8) Investing is risky. The information provided in this article should not be considered as a substitute for professional financial consultation. Users should be aware that investing in any form carries inherent risks, and as such, there is a possibility of losing some or all of their investment. The value of investments can fluctuate significantly within a short period, and investors must understand that past performance is not indicative of future results. Additionally, users should exercise caution as transactions involving investments may be irreversible, even in cases of fraud or accidental actions. It is crucial to acknowledge that rapidly evolving laws and technical issues can have adverse effects on the usability, transferability, exchangeability, and value of investments. Furthermore, users must be cognizant of potential security risks associated with their investment activities. Individuals are strongly encouraged to conduct thorough research, seek professional advice, and carefully evaluate their risk tolerance before engaging in any investment endeavors. Market Jar Media Inc. is neither an investment adviser nor a broker-dealer. The information presented on the website is provided for informative purposes only and is not to be treated as a recommendation to make any specific investment. No such information on PressReach.com constitutes advice or a recommendation.
View source version on newsdirect.com: https://newsdirect.com/news/airports-use-ai-to-bolster-employee-screening-amid-rising-criminal-activity-915645137
Disclaimer: The views, suggestions, and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the experts. No Atlas Story journalist was involved in the writing and production of this article.